BAC is a large and complex regional community development organisation providing services to homelands in the Maningrida region, administering some 50 grants and managing a suite of businesses and programs including: Housing, Civil Works, Essential Services, Bábbarra Women’s Centre, Bawinanga Rangers, Barlmarrk Supermarket, Fuel Supplies, Mechanical Workshops, Arts and Culture/Djomi Museum, Wild Foods Café, Community Patrol, Employment Services and Money Management Services.
BAC is governed by a Board of Directors who are elected by corporation members every two years. BAC enacts policies developed at the executive level through the leadership of the CEO and the Senior Management team.
BAC’s mission is to improve the lifeways of our people on land and sea in order to preserve and grow culture and language.
BAC is a values-based organisation with an emphasis on: Trust, Transparency, Innovation and Partnership. These are principles and behaviours we display when working together.
Under direction of the Retail Manager, this position provides a high level food delivery service to homelands and surrounding areas during dry season. During wet season this position will assist in Barlmarrk Supermarket day to day operations.
The primary responsibilities are:
- Under the supervision of the Retail Manager, provide an excellent Tucker Run service to homelands within the Maningrida Region
- Provide a high level of customer service to customers and employees on the tucker run and homelands and ensure this level of customer service extends to those visiting and employed at our retail outlets.
- Support all the staff in the supermarket including supervisors and management, wherever it is required.
- Mentor, coach and guide other staff where directed, to ensure constant upskilling of our local workforce.
- Assist with unloading barges as required
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Adhere to the Workplace Health and Safety regulatory requirements
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities
- Develop and maintain positive stakeholder relationships with all BAC staff, and develop sound working relationships through delivering appropriate and honest support and/or feedback.
- Ensure communications are appropriate to BAC Employees, Communities, Stakeholders and partner organisations.
- Any other duties requested by your supervisor which are within your capabilities.
- Stock management procedures are followed to ensure health and safety standards are held to the upmost importance when dealing with use by dates / best before dates whilst ensuring cold items are stored correctly to avoid spoilage.
- Ensure storage facilities are kept in good clean conditions to ensure food safety
- Forward thinking to provide service to as many homelands as possible
- Any other duties as directed within your capabilities.
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated experience working in a remote aboriginal community environment, with knowledge and understanding of aboriginal protocol and culture.
- Good oral and written communication skills and demonstrated intermediate level computer literacy, including intermediate knowledge of all Microsoft Office software;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as being part of a small team;
- Ability to work under supervision and independently
- Forklift Licence
- HR Licence
- First Aid Certificate
- National Police Clearance
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salary
- 2 year contract
- 6 weeks Annual Leave
- 17.5% Annual Leave loading
- 12% Superannuation
- Free accommodation
This position is in Maningrida, an indigenous community 500 km north east of Darwin. Living and working in a remote community is not for everyone, please consider this before applying.
If you wish to apply, please send an expression of interest via the link or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org for the Position Description.
Applications require a current Resume, cover letter and response to the selection criteria.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.