BAC Road Crew
The Road Party is contracted during the Dry Season to maintain the Maningrida to Ramingining road —to the Blyth River crossing, and the Maningrida to Darwin road—to Dreaming Lady crossing. Work scope includes the repair of flood damage, gravel sheeting and grading.
Major achievements in 2010-2011 include:
- Over 1000km of maintenance to BAC’s extensive network of roads to Outstations
- Major flood damage repair after the Wet Season
- 18km gravel sheeting on the Maningrida access road and the Maningrida to Ramingining road
- Clearing and rolling of six Outstation airstrips
- Replacing the collapsed pipes on the Ramingining Road near Ji-Balbal
- On-the-job training for staff
- Purchase of a new grader, a 966 Loader, and two freight liners through a grant from the Aboriginal Business Association (ABA).
Life as a road party worker is hard. The men have to be tough and self reliant. They camp out for the duration of the Dry Season in basic, non air-conditioned vans, away from family and social life. The days are long—7am to 7pm, and breaks are few.
All machinery and vehicles are repaired and serviced by a diesel mechanic in the ‘base camp’ at Maningrida.
For further information:
Phone: +61 (0)8 8979 5743